Saturday, April 24, 2010

The smell of spring in healthy happy living

Here in good old Arizona, I often ride my bike with Seth to and from the library to pick up books and movies that I put on reserve. Usually that is my excuse to get out and ride, so a lot of times while I am out riding I stop off at the homes of members to check on people, drop things off, pick things up, or try to do my visiting teaching. It is really nice to do it that way because the weather is so nice more times than not. I even ride in the rain on some occasions. As I was rinding around the other day I was noticing that all the air was perfumed with the smell of blossoms. I was surprised that even in what looks like an unattractive desert, that there was still the smell of spring. It made the day all the more enjoyable and it made me grateful for all the variety that God created for us.
Since cycling is my time to think clearly and meditate on things I was also thinking about how good it feels to have energy again. After my surgeries and my pregnancy I was so weak for so long. Here 7 months later I am feeling good and strong again and it makes me happy. I think that is why I like to ride my bike every where, because it reminds me that I have a healthy strong body to be grateful for. I feel that way when I get to play soccer every Friday with mark on the co ed city soccer league. I started playing soccer as soon as I was able to trot around without to much pain. As the soccer season progressed and my strength has returned I feel I can finally be an asset to my team.
Makes me think that the blessings associated with the word of wisdom are greater than we realize. I find myself taking those blessings for granted sometimes, if I am even eating right to take advantage of those blessings at all. But think about it how good does it feel to walk and not faint and to run and not be weary. With thinking about my body and health I have also tried harder to be at at the same time Mark is up to make him a good breakfast before he goes to school. And we are trying to eat less meat and more veggies and grains. I think it is safe to say that good food equals happy people. That is why I am trying to be a better cook for my family. It is that important.

1 comment:

  1. I love reading what you write Sam! You are a very talented writer. Aren't the simple pleasures in life wonderful? I miss our Wilton bike rides. Bike riding is still one of my favorite pastimes. It brings back so many memories and its so relaxing...Miss you and Seth is such a cute little boy!

    ReplyDelete