So at the beginning of June 2010 Mark decided to skip a day of school to make time for us to hike Havasupai Falls before we moved to Washington. He talked two girls from his school into watching Seth for us while we did the hike. Monday night we took Seth to Kaitlyn's house so she could watch him over night and most of the next day than she would hand him off to Leah who lives in an RV. A lot of people from Mark's School have been kind enough to look after Seth for us when ever we have needed it.
Once again I drove the whole way there while Mark Studied on his laptop. It was a little hard to find in the dark but we managed to find it ok with some of Derek's helpful tips. As we drove on the 60 mile reservation road in the dark we hit a lot of pot wholes,so I was inclined to drive more slowly despite Mark's nagging me to go faster. I slowed way down because of a pot whole and as I turned my head to the right I saw this huge elk or deer. I swear its chest was up to our window and it had the biggest antlers I have ever seen in person. Mark saw it a second before me and it seemed so close to our car as we drove by it that it made my heart jump. After that I was really straining my eyes to see anything that moved because the last thing i wanted to deal with is recking the car in the middle of no where because we hit a huge deer or something.
We finally got to the parking lot at around midnight, and for a weekday it was surprisingly full. Tons of people were camped along side the road just out side of the parking lot, but decided to drive through the parking lot anyway to see if we could find a close spot to the trail head. Lucky for us we did find a spot next to a coned off area. We couldn't have asked for a better spot than that because it was right at the trail head. We put the seats down in the back of our jeep and just slept for a few hours because we had to get up at 4:00am to start hiking.
It was a little cold when we woke up so I was a little slow at getting ready. We ended up starting to hike at 4:50. 20 minutes later than we had planned, but still not a bad time to start.
We basically ran down and passed all the hikers that left at 4:00am, so I guess we made up for lost time by running down so fast. Once the ground leveled out we kept a nice quick pace with no breaks. I made Mark stop now and again for pictures,but other than that we just pressed on.
We passed a lot of Indians on horse back leading a train of pack mules fairly often on our way down and I thought that was kinda fun to see. Mark and I made it to the village in 2 1/2 hours and decided to get some cool treats at the store down there. One interesting thing they also had was an LDS Church.
I asked a local how many people lived in the village and he said about 600 or so and so I asked him if he knew anyone that went to the church and he had no idea. One would think that in a small place like that everyone would know everyone, but I guess not.
We kinda passed up the first water fall to get to Mooney Falls first, because it was the furthest away. Both Water falls are awesome in their own ways, but the cliff we had to go down to get to Mooney Falls was pretty freaking sweet! Plus Mooney Falls was way bigger. We climbed down the chains on the cliff and swam in the falls for a while before we decided to hike back up the cliff.
That is how dirty my feet were by the end of the hike.
No comments:
Post a Comment